There are so many old wives tales about how to predict the gender of your baby so I thought I would put some of them to the test. I have put a list together of what is believed to be a boy and what is a girl. I have also included some other ways to predict a baby’s gender with graphs and tests. The only true way to find out a baby’s gender is when it is born as even when you go for the twenty week scan, the NHS do say “You should be aware that it’s not possible for the sonographer to be one hundred percent certain about your baby’s sex. For example, if your baby is lying in an awkward position, it may be difficult or impossible to tell”.
You are more likely to be carrying a boy if…
- Your baby’s heartbeat is lower than 140 beats per minute.
- You are carrying all out front.
- You are carrying low.
- You didn’t suffer from morning sickness in your first trimester.
- Your right breast is bigger than your left.
- You look at yourself in the mirror for at least a minute and your pupils dilate.
- You crave salty food or protein.
- You combine your age at the time of conception with the number of the month you conceived and the resulting number is even.
- Your hair has become more full-bodied and shiny during pregnancy.
- The hair on your legs has been growing faster during pregnancy.
- You are more prone to headaches.
- Your pillow faces north when you sleep.
- When you are asked to show your hands, you present them palms down.
- You lie on your left side when sleeping.
- Your urine is bright yellow.
- You have been married for less than a year when you conceived. The idea is that the longer you are married, the less sex you have and male sperm move faster but do not live long.
- You were stressed at the time of conception.
- If conceived in summer than this suggests a boy whilst a winter conception suggests a girl. Farmers have noticed this effect in animals for many years.
You are more likely to be having a girl if…
- You are carrying all round.
- You are carrying high.
- You have missed the “blooming” period altogether.
- You suffered morning sickness during your first 12 weeks.
- Your left breast is bigger than your right.
- You crave sweet things.
- Your skin is soft.
- You are more moody than usual.
- When asked to show your hands, you present them palms up.
- You combine your age at the time of conception with the number of the month you conceived and the resulting number is odd.
- Your urine is dull yellow.
- If you are over 35 years old there is evidence that your age affects the gender.
- The father of the baby is over 40. It seems that the older a dad the quality of sperm does deteriorate.
- If you have two or more children already this suggests it could be a girl.
When looking at myself with the above I get 15 points for a boy and 9 points for a girl! So this is a BOY prediction!
The Chinese Gender Predictor
This is a chart that uses your age when conceived, together with the month you conceived in, to establish if you are having a boy or a girl. This theory can only be used with the Chinese lunar calendar and as always there isn’t any scientific proof that it works. Which does bring me to my prediction, according to this predictor, when I use it on myself I get a BOY. However, when I use Gavin’s age he gets a GIRL!
Baking Powder Test
The first time I heard about the baking powder gender test, I thought it was completely made up. To complete the test put two tablespoons of baking powder in a glass. Then add some of your urine. If the combination fizzes, then you are having a boy. If there is no reaction at all from the baking soda and urine, you’re having a girl. When I tried this test on myself, the reaction was instant, my urine looked like a lager with an extra-large top (TMI!!) so therefore I am predicted to be having a BOY – we shall see!
The Cabbage Test
This test apparently works because the cabbage reacts to the pH level of your urine. To complete the test, chop up a red cabbage into small chunks and put in a pot of boiling water, boil the cabbage for 10 minutes then remove from heat. Combine equal parts of your urine with the boiled cabbage water. If the mixture turns pink or red, you are having a boy. If it turns purple, you are having a girl. When I completed this test on myself the result was inconclusive. When I’ve watched you tube clips the cabbage water to start with is usually blue however when I did this the cabbage water was already purple to start with and there wasn’t a reaction when I added my urine, therefore suggesting a GIRL.
Wedding Ring or Needle Gender Test
The wedding ring gender test is quite safe, but its accuracy is up for debate. The simple test can be completed in nearly any setting. To complete this test attach the mum-to-be’s wedding ring or a needle to a thread, have the mum-to-be lie on her back, dangle the thread over the expectant mother’s belly and allow it to move without interfering with the motion. If the thread moves in a back-and-forth, pendulum motion, the test indicates that the baby is a boy. If the thread moves in a circular motion, the test indicates that the baby is a girl. I had a friend complete this on me but I didn’t find out the prediction, she wrote it on a piece of paper that she has put in an envelope and Gavin’s parents are going to deliver the news to us in the hospital once “little alien” is here. I cant wait to see if it was correct or not!
Overall the majority of the predictions lead me to believe I may be expecting a BOY. I can say this, it was extremely fun trying all the different gender prediction tests but the only thing that is sure is there is a baby growing inside me and it isnt long now until Gavin and I meet our baby, I especially can’t wait to find out what “little aliens” gender is as the suspense is killing me!